During RS Rescue’s NFPA 1006 Awareness Level one day course, students will be introduced to the various stages of automobile accidents and learn how to safely and efficiently navigate through these stages in a team environment. You will learn how to identify and isolate potential hazards to both you and the patient. We will focus on Supplemental Restraint Systems (SRS) and the hazards that these systems pose to today’s firefighters. Systematic scene management approaches coupled with an assortment of stabilization and glass management techniques will complete the first stages of vehicle rescue!
In the afternoon, you will go through step by step training evolutions on the safe use of hand hydraulic equipment such as cutters and spreaders. The afternoon portion of the day will include real time staged scenarios for you and your team to tackle! Space is limited to ensure personal attention for each student and lots of hands on tool time. This program incorporates all NFPA 1006 Awareness Level Requirements. Upon successful completion of all of these requirements, an NFPA 1006 compliant Awareness Level Vehicle Rescue certificate will be issued.
This course covers all NFPA 1006 Chapter 8 Awareness requirements that include:
- Site control and scene management
- General hazards associated with vehicle search and rescue incidents
- Traffic control
- Size up of existing and potential conditions at vehicle search and rescue incidents
- Identifying probable victim locations and survivability
- Making the search and rescue area safe
- Identifying and controlling hazards presented by the vehicle, its position, or its systems
- Identifying, containing, and stopping fuel release
- Use, care and inspection of tools and equipment
- Protecting a victim during extrication or disentanglement
- Packaging a victim prior to extrication or disentanglement
Pre-Course E-Learning session must be completed prior to practical training (access given 2 weeks in advance of your selected course dates)
Submit completed Medical Questionnaire/Waiver form.
Click course date to view or register!
Ontario Fire Academy Recruit Classes Only!
Practical on the training grounds: 1 day
Student must bring: Safety footwear, safety glasses, and weather appropriate work gloves.
$300 + HST
Course fee can be paid when registering. RS Rescue reserves the right to cancel up to one week prior to any course in which the minimum registration is not achieved.
This program is conducted entirely outside. Please dress appropriately based on forecasted weather conditions.
Candidates should expect to participate in lengthy, physically demanding training exercises and therefore be in good physical condition.
Use of fire department bunker gear or coveralls is acceptable providing you have permission from the Fire Chief of designate.